Monday, March 28, 2016

Mover's Survivial Guide

I don’t claim to be an expert.  I’ve never read any books about the subject.  I’ve never done any case studies.  I’ve never taken any courses.  But, moving is something that has become almost second-nature to me.  Since I moved out of my childhood home almost 20 years ago, I have moved 21 times. Six of these moves were in the last 5 years -- since having kids.  I also spent 2 1/2 years of my life traveling with a music group, staying in a new place every 2-3 days.  I’ve lived on 3 continents in many distinct cultures:  country, small town, city, and BIG city.  I can fit more into a suitcase or moving box than almost anyone I know.  It’s gotten to the point that if I haven’t changed location for 6 months, I start to notice a listlessness that I can’t put my finger on.  Kind of strange for a girl who spent the first 18 years of her life in the same house -- 1/2 a mile from Grandma and Grandpa’s and surrounded by many family members who never lived outside a 40 mile radius of their childhood home.

So, like I said, not an expert, just experienced.  I’m actually taking a break from packing to write this post.  22nd move is underway.  7th with kids.  Only down the street, but the process is mostly the same, unless you’re switching countries.  So, here are some basic tips I’ve accumulated as a survival guide for any of you who are about to undertake this journey for yourselves.

For All Movers:
Don’t panic!!!!  All moves are possible.  Even across the ocean moves with small kids.  Even moves where you have to be out in a day and your wife and kids are in another city.  We know from experience.

Stuff isn’t as important as you think it is.  You can really do without almost everything.  Keep it simple.  The less you take with you, the better off you are.  Even when it comes to keepsakes, you can probably simplify a lot more than your heart thinks you can.  There are whole books on this subject, so I won’t bother with all of that, just think less is . . . less!  And therefore easier.

Pack as far ahead as you can.  This means there’s less to do on those final days that will be hectic no matter how prepared you are.  It also gives you a chance to prepare emotionally for the move itself.  As you pack, the reality sinks in and you can deal with things in smaller doses.  When we moved to our current home, Chris found out he had to move in 2 days -- while the kids and I were in another city.  He did it, but it was an emotional roller coaster for all of us.  In this move, we knew in January that we were moving in April.  So what if it was 3 months away, I could still start with summer clothes, homeschool books for next year, etc.  That meant that I had about 30% of our things packed before the last 2 weeks.  Also, had a lot of the tears out already.

Purge as you pack!  If you can’t remember why you had that stack of papers, don’t put it into a box, trash it!  If you never unpacked it since the last move, you can probably give it away.  Give away as much as your heart will let you!  Again, less is . . . less!

For Movers Changing Cultures/Countries:
If you can get it in your new location, don’t bring it along.  Even if you can't get it, decide if you really need it.  Especially if you’re getting on a plane, try to move with just normal baggage allowance.  This will make you really assess needs vs. wants.

Bring a few things that make a place feel like home.  Maybe it’s a special blanket, a wall hanging, something for your kitchen, think it through.  It’s nice when you move to someplace completely foreign to have something completely familiar. 

If you can find them, talk to people from your home culture who have moved to your new culture.  Ask them what they pack.  When we moved to India, I heard that I should pack fitted sheets.  I thought this was silly.  If the locals could tuck under flat sheets, so could I.  I wasn’t going to waste my luggage space with this.  Well, after 2 years of trying to tuck sheets in that weren’t large enough for the mattresses and ending up sleeping on a bare mattress many nights, I asked my Mom to bring us some fitted sheets when she came to visit last time.  Boy, are they great!!!

For Movers with a Whole Family:
Take into account everyone’s feelings.  I tend to be pretty optimistic about a move.  I’m excited for a change, for a new place, for a different adventure.  Chris HATES moving.  Jed is sad about transitions.  Abe and Lucy are still trying to figure things out, so they miss a lot and end up confused.  So, it’s important to take stock of the family often during moving.  Share together what you will miss about the old house, what you’re looking forward to in the new house, what you didn’t like about this place, what you’re nervous about in the new place.  It might take a little more time and emotional energy, but will pay out later when the whole family feels they’ve been heard and loved.

Find ways for the kids to help.  Give them jobs -- even if it’s gathering nuts and bolts from the bunkbed or rolling up rugs or putting socks into the box.  It gives them ownership and they can see it happening.

Let each person pack what’s special to them.  My kids packed their rock collection, tea set, and some of their toys.  Chris packed his pipes and tobacco.  It’s good to let them decide a bit of what comes along.  When we move across the ocean, the kids get to pack a bag with whatever is important to them.  They can see what is coming and some of what is not.  They learn about giving away and about priorities.

I think that about does it for now.  Anyway, I’ve got to get back in there!!  As we get ready for our new ‘home,’ I like remembering our Risen Savior who promised us He’s preparing a place for us!  Won’t have to move anymore!! :)

And so glad these mountains will still be close.  Hiked up to this spot for the sunrise Easter morning.  Couldn't have been more special!




No comments:

Post a Comment