Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Operation Education Overhaul

You know what I’d like to do?  Sit here and have a cup of tea and eat a piece of apple bread and tell myself all the reasons that this is hard.  I’d like to continue making excuses and justifying my lack of ideas, insight, and enthusiasm.  Now I hear you saying, “Really, Emily?  You?  Don’t be so down on yourself!  You’re doing great considering . . . (fill in the blank).”  You know why I can hear it?  Because that’s what I’ve been saying to myself for the past 3 years.  About homeschooling.

Yes, my friends, I, Emily, holder of a degree in Psychology and Education, experienced in Preschool and Substitute Teaching, working with kids of all ages for years, am struggling with homeschooling.  For 3 years, I hid behind the excuses that I would hope others would make for me.  I’ve got 3 very different, very energetic kids.  I live in a different culture.  I’ve got ADHD.  There have been too many transitions.  Well, maybe those things were and are true.  Maybe I have reason to not excel.  But no more.

The craziest thing is I already know all I should be doing.  Or, it all makes sense when I find it.  Like I said, I studied this stuff.  I experienced it in classrooms.  What makes it so different for my own kids is the motivation to be all they need as a teacher and all they need as a Mom (notice I didn’t say all they want).  I really think God is asking me to do this, and He has promised I can do all things through Him that strengthens me.  There really is no excuse after that sentence.  Honestly, I think I was hiding behind the chaos and hoping it would get easier on its own.  Has that ever worked for anyone?  anywhere? anytime?

I, along with a whole generation, love to sit around and say why it’s not our fault and compare how hard things are for us and justify our struggles.  But that hasn’t improved us as a generation as far as I can tell.  So, I just realized that I’d better suck it up.  There is a time and a place for that.  And it’s right here, right now.  I’ve started diving into learning styles and brain function and classroom management and reading education strategy.  I feel like a giddy 20-yr-old all over again.  I put away my ‘de-stress’ games on my phone, my aspirations to get my book finished, my overly ambitious meal plans and visiting schedules.  I’m committing to hiking up my teaching denim jumper . . . wait, I never had one of those . . . brushing off my manipulatives, rearranging our school room and school day, and setting forth into the brave unknown, but soon to be known.

I know I’m still foundationaly flawed, as all people are.  I can’t teach like another teacher or mother can, but I can teach like me.  My kids can’t learn like other kids can, but they can learn like themselves.  It sure would be easier if they could just fit into a cookie-cutter program and ‘get it’ without any added effort, but that wouldn’t be normal.  Most kids are ‘abnormal’ somehow.  We’ve got all sorts of labels we put on people that have to do with how their brains work: ADHD, autism, dyslexia, obsessive/compulsive, etc.  These need to not be a crutch, but a way to understand the unique gifts  and struggles of each child.  It’s fun to say all this after I believed it for so long.  It’s time for me to live like it again.

So, if you happen to see me, ask me how it’s going.  Ask my kids if they hate school.  Hopefully they won’t by the time you ask them!  If you’re a homeschooling Mom of kids -- especially if you’re doing it alone in another culture -- I’d love to have your insights or input or encouragement.  Also, if you know of a woman -- yes, woman because of the culture we live in -- who has the same convictions our family does and is ready to live in a different place for a year, think of us.  It sure could make a difference to have an extra brain and pair of hands over here.  But, if the help doesn’t come, God’s help will come.  I can do all things . . . and I can teach my amazing, gifted, frustrated, and brilliant kids.

Back when I was a starry-eyed Mother of 2.  Hadn't started homeschooling yet.  Thought it would be no big deal.  Silly girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment